Fitness Tips

Group Weight Loss Classes vs. Solo Workouts: Which Is Better?

By October 8, 2019 No Comments

January is the traditional hot month for weight loss resolutions. Gym memberships soar as droves of people pack in with hopes of losing five pounds.

When the dust settles, only 23% of weight loss hopefuls succeed at their goals. For the other 77%, it may be time to ditch the solo routine and join some weight loss classes.

Sticking to a solid exercise regimen benefits overall well-being. The psychological benefits alone are enough to encourage workouts every day. Mood, self-esteem, and decrease in stress, all spike because of great workouts.

Benefits improve when you have the support of fellow exercisers. 

If you like to go at it alone at the gym, consider these reasons to buddy up on occasion. Here’s why science supports switching up your routine with social weight loss classes. 

All the Pluses of Group Weight Loss Classes

Perception is everything when people walk into the gym. Some turn and run while others brave the weight-loss giant like a lone wolf. 

But thanks to group classes, people don’t have to face their fear of the gym alone. According to the Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, fitness classes are like therapy. Here’s why:

  1. Regular workouts with a group reduce stress and improve quality of life.
  2. Social exercise builds confidence because you have the motivating force of a coach and team. 
  3. People who workout with a group tend to stick to their workout routine. Having a team waiting to support them, encourages enthusiasm and attendance. 
  4. Competitive drive improves results. Some people are competitive by nature. Working out with a group helps them develop and improve their weight loss goals. Being a groupie pushes them to fight for a spot in the fitness chain.

Social workouts also allow people to grow and learn from other fit individuals. But like solo exercise, it does come with a few cons. Some people find it hard to track personal progress when working out with a group. 

There’s also less room to customize the workout the way you want it. But that doesn’t mean you won’t experience and see results. 

Solo Workouts

Lots of people do fine customizing their workouts and sticking with a solo routine. They like to set their own pace and comfort level at the gym.

Some pros of going at it alone are personal focus and accommodation. People find downtime in solo workouts. It’s a quiet time where they can focus and get in tune with their bodies. 

Those minutes of solitude help when they have to focus on a specific need or goal. Some people like to bulk up on top while others prefer to have thicker legs and calves.

Others are runners who just want to turn up the music and hit the treadmill for an hour. Having space and time to do that helps them achieve the results they need. 

The downside is when you tire out, no one’s there to encourage your next push. You have no accountability and no one to help guide you away from a fruitless routine. 

Become a Groupie

Achieving a weight loss goal is a full-time commitment. Solo efforts aren’t so bad. But having the support of a group yields some great results. 

The next time you’re at the gym, ditch the bike or treadmill and check out some weight loss classes.

Need better results from your fitness routine? If you’re in the Las Vegas area, check out our team training. Enjoy some circuit-style workouts that’ll help you get the results you desire. 

Call Now